Go to content
Sprache ändern Selected language is English
UR Home

Doing a Traineeship at UR

Applying for an internship/traineeship at UR

Many international students are interested in doing a traineeship at UR. Traineeships are possible but only within a certain framework, e.g. within the ERASMUS+ Program (ERASMUS SMP).

Traineeships can be hosted in the following faculties :

  • Biology
  • Biochemistry
  • Chemistry
  • Medicine - clinical part (see below for further information)
  • Physics
  • Pharmacy
  • Psychology

Due to capacity issues, preference is given to trainees from partner institutions.

UR does not accept any trainees who have already completed their studies and are planning to do their traineeship for further professional qualification after their studies.

Duration of Traineeship / Time Frame

All trainees will be registered as non-degree seeking students at UR. For this reason all traineeships should take place during the regular semester periods which are:

  • winter semester: October - March
  • summer: April - September

A traineeship should last at least for two months but may also cover a full semester. Traineeships that last for more than 3 months may be subject to special legal requirements. Please contact the International Office ahead of time, if you plan on coming for more than 3 months.

If the duration of the traineeship is not identical with the semester dates but overlaps  two semesters, students have to pay semester fees for two semesters which we do not recommend.

Internship Agreement

Trainees need to get a signed traineeship agreement which settles the goals and frames of the traineeship:

"Learning agreement for traineeship" (download)

Students who do a traineeship outside the ERASMUS+Program need a different agreement. Please contact: international.exchange-student@ur.de

Trainees must follow the same rules and regulations as students coming via the regular student exchange (SMS) regarding nomination and application to the university.

Incoming students to UR who wish to do a traineeship need to provide a letter of acceptance of the supervisor of the traineeship at the time of nomination. The learning agreement for traineeships will have to be handed in together with the application documents.

Necessary Insurances

Trainees need to be fully insured during their internship

Health Insurance:

Applicants have to hand in a proof of health insurance. If you do an ERASMUS traineeship and have a european health insurance card (EHIC), your insurance is usually accepted. Other trainees, and trainees who receive a salary for their traineeship from the German host, will have to take out the German statutory health insurance (currently 105 EUR per month).

Accident Insurance

Based on your official student status at UR, you have an accident insurance for travels to and from work, as well as for travels connected with your work.

Liability Insurance:

There is no liability insurance coverage from UR. For this reason, a private liablility insurance is highly recommended especially if you have to work with very expensive equipment.

Students doing a lab internship should also have a special insurance for their work in the lab: Laborversicherung.

It is the responsibilty of the trainee to get sufficient coverage. In doubt, please ask your traineeship advisor in the faculty.


Trainees looking for accommodation may contact our accommodation office. If there are places available in student residences, they may get a place there: international.accommodation@ur.de

They should also ask their advisor in Regensburg for help.

For further information on short term accommodation please see: Welcome Center for International Visiting Researchers.

Student Status

Getting official student status at UR

Trainees have to be registered at their home institution during their internship at UR. They will receive an offical student status at UR as non-degree seeking exchange students.

The student status grants them several advantages:

  • Student ID-card / UR card
  • ID card for the UR sports center
  • included ticket für public transportation within Regensburg
  • accident insurance

Work Permit

Work permit for international trainees

Traineeships which are financed by EU-grants are free of any work and residence regulations as long as they are not longer than 90 days.

Other internships (not ERASMUS)

Trainees from non-European countries who come for more than 90 days to Germany and are not financed through EU grants, need to get a work permit. They will need to receive a work permit. Your German host needs to start the application process with the advisory service for the Bavarian universities in Coburg: KoBy

Applications must be handed in about 5 to 6 weeks prior to the start of the internship.

Payment Regulations for Traineeships longer than 3 months

Internships that are not mandatory for studies at home and which last for more than 90 days are subject to payment regulations. This  means that the trainee has to show proof that he/she receives a minimum of payment for the internship.

As the university usually has not special funds for internships, it is very unlikely that an internship that is longer than 90 days long can be carried through. If your traineeship is mandatory, please hand in some kind of confirmation stating this requirement.

Special Regulations for Trainees in Medicine

Students who do an internship in our university clinic need to fulfill special requirements:

  • very good German language skills (level C1)
  • completed pre-clinical studies
  • registration at the home institution during the entire time of their traineeship

Documents which need to be handed in:

  • curriculum vitae
  • letter of motivation
  • reference letter
  • learning agreement or traineeship agreement
  • transcript of records
  • confirmation of enrolment at home institution
  • language certificate for German

For further information please contact:

Ms Anne-Kathrin Merz, Faculty of Medicine


  1. UR International

Exchange Coordinator

Christine Betzner