Go to content
Sprache ändern Selected language is English
UR Home

Health Insurance

For several reasons you absolutely must have valid health insurance in Germany:

  • There are no medical facilities that are free of charge for students. If you get sick, you must go to a doctor in the city or in a hospital.
  • Students must have health insurance because without proof of health insurance, the University is unable to accept enrolment or re-registration (Rückmeldung). The law stipulates membership in a statutory health insurance fund.

Image Draussen As _25_

Statutory Health Insurances

German law stipulates that in order to grant foreigners in Germany a residence permit, sufficient health insurance for the duration of their stay in Germany must be proven. Normally, this proof is furnished with the certificate of statutory insurance in Germany.

Statuatory health insurance funds are, for example: Techniker Krankenkasse (TK), Deutsche Angestellten-Krankenkasse (DAK), Barmer Ersatzkasse, AOK.

Some countries (all EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, and Turkey) have a social insurance agreement (Sozialversicherungsabkommen) with Germany. For members of these countries, insurance is not compulsory; however, these members must have the exemption from the compulsory insurance confirmed by a German statutory insurance fund and submit this confirmation upon enrolment.

Customer service of some well-known health insurance providers:

Aok Logo

AOK Bayern

Bruderwöhrdstraße 9, 93055 Regensburg. Tel: 0941 79606 – 190

Kk Barmer Logo


D.-Martin-Luther-Straße 8, 93047 Regensburg.                                Tel: 0800 333004 205-700


DAK-Gesundheit in Regensburg

Residenzstr. 2, 93047 Regensburg. Tel: 0941 5993030
Tk-logo Neu

Die Techniker

Am Biopark 13 (Office on Campus), 93053 Regensburg.                Tel: 0151 - 145 348 05 (Eugen Theurer, students policy specialist)

If you come from Bosnia-Herzegowina, Mazedonia, Serbia and Montenegro or Tunesia, we recommend a statutory health insurance here in Germany as these countries have social insurance agreements that offer only a very limited coverage for an emergency.

If you are not from a country with the social insurance agreement, you must take out statutory health insurance in Germany.

Addresses of the health insurances you get during the orientational programme “Startklar” or at the International Office.

Private Health Insurances

If you are over 30 years old, you cannot get insurance at the student rate. In this case, you need private health insurance. You can obtain information about private health insurance recognized by the Ausländerbehörde in Regensburg from Ms. Wunderlich at the International Office.

PLEASE NOTE: There are special rules regarding health insurance for the students who participate in a preparatory German language course at the University of Regensburg. Please let Ms. Wunderlich advise you about this.

  1. UR International

International Degree Seeking Students

Elli Wunderlich
Wunderlich Quadratisch