Go to content
Sprache ändern Selected language is English
UR Home


Means of Subsistence

EuroscheineNot-EU students must prove that they have sufficient means of subsistence and adequate health insurance coverage to be issued with a residence permit.

Please inform yourself at the German embassy and at the Municipal Immigration Office, which is responsible for you, how to proceed.

Photo: Emilian Robert Vicol (CC BY 2.0)

For orientation, you should have no less than € 729 (December 2017) per month at your disposal.

You can prove your means of subsistence for example by presenting the following:

  • a formal obligation according to § 68 of the Law of Residence*, or
  • proof of relevant grants from German state means, or
  • grants from a sponsoring organisation recognised in Germany, or
  • state grants from your country of origin involving the Foreign Office, the German Academic Exchange Service or German grant organisations.
  • financial means can be proved by bank statements or security payments into a blocked account with a credit balance of 8748 Euro for one year (729 Euro per month)

*A formal obligation according to § 68 of the Law of Residence can be handed in to a German agency abroad or to the Municipal Immigration Office in Germany by your parents or siblings, for instance, or by other third parties. The guarantor guarantees your means of subsistence and must prove his/her financial ability to do so when handing in the formal obligation.

  1. UR International

International Degree Seeking Students

Elli Wunderlich
Wunderlich Quadratisch