Go to content
Sprache ändern Selected language is English
UR Home

Residence Permit

Residence Permit

To live in Germany, foreign students and visiting academics from non-EU states always require a residence permit, which they must apply for at the Aliens Office within three months of arrival in Germany, or before their visa expires.

A residence permit can generally be issued if you are applying for degree courses, studying at a state university, or one that is recognised by the state, or at a similar educational institution, or if you are preparing for your studies.

As it is generally necessary for students to be enrolled at a university for them to receive a residence permit, students who have to pass the university examination proving their knowledge of German do not have to register with the Immigration Office until they have enrolled at the university, even if they have been living in Regensburg for several weeks. However, this period may not exceed three months, nor may it exceed visa limits.

For how long is your residence permit valid?

The first residence permit will be issued for no longer than two years; if you are commencing your studies, the residence permit will be issued for two years and can be extended for two more years if you have not yet completed your studies but will be doing so in the foreseeable future.

As a rule, the total period of residence may not exceed 10 years. Those applying for a degree course but who do not yet have a place at a university or educational establishment may only be issued with a residence permit for a maximum of nine months. The time limit for residence permits for visiting academics depends on the purpose of their stay and can therefore vary from case to case.

Where do you apply for a residence permit?

The Regensburg Municipal Immigration office is the responsible office for your residence permit in case you live in the city of Regensburg.

The Immigration Office requires the following documents to issue a residence permit:

  • Residence permit "Antrag auf Erteilung einer befristeten Aufenthaltserlabunis" (in the case of extension: "Antrag auf Verlängerung einer befristeten Aufenthaltserlaubnis"; forms at Foreigners'  Registration Office or here)
  • valid passport
  • computer readable passport photo
  • letter of acceptance or confirmation of university registration
  • proof of health insurance
  • proof of subsistence means (729 € per month)
  • "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" (form available here)
  • where appropriate, work contract as visiting academics

Foreigners with German grant: free of charge
Exchange students at Regensburg universities: 2.50 €
First issue: 50 €
Extension: 30 €

Who can help you with the formalities?

The Regensburg Municipal Immigration Office works closely together with the Regensburg universities. During the orientation course prior to the beginning of the semester (please also see "Startklar"), our student assistants help you with the administrational process.

  1. UR International

International Degree Seeking Students

Elli Wunderlich
Wunderlich Quadratisch