Go to content
Sprache ändern Selected language is English
UR Home

Working after Graduation

Qualified Employment after Graduation

The Law of Residence allows you to take a job in Germany that fits your qualifications after graduating in Germany. This means that it is no longer necessary for you to return to your country of origin. This ruling gives you two possibilities:

  • Changing your reason for residence into that of qualified employment
  • 18 months residence permit while you are looking for a job 

This gives you the opportunity to find a job that suits your qualifications.

Pressestelle 0211 Praktikum Bio

If you have already found a qualified employment

If you already want to accept an appropriate job immediately after completing your studies, we request that you consult the Munical Immigration Office ass soon as possible to apply for a residence permit. The following documents are required for this:

  • Application for issuance of a limited residence permit
  • Passport as well as suitable biometric photograph
  • Application for engaging in gainful employmetn (to be filled out together with your potential employer)

Please note, that in individual cases, additional documents may be required.

Searching for Work

As long as no job is in view after successfully completing your studies, your residence permit can be extended for up to 18 months to look for work that suits your qualifications. During the validity of a residence permit for the purpose of searching for work, there are no restrictions to take employment.

  1. UR International

International Degree Seeking Students

Elli Wunderlich
Wunderlich Quadratisch