Go to content
Sprache ändern Selected language is English
UR Home


As an international guest researcher or lecturer at UR you are working in a research project or you may be involved in teaching classes. Depending on the conditions of your stay and whether you have a work contract or a scholarship, you will need a different type of health insurance. Being covered under the German social security system or having to pay taxes are also topics that depend on the overall work or finantial conditions with which you have come to UR.

Social and Health Insurances

The German social security covers retirement pension, unemployment, health and nursing care insurances. If you have a work contract in Germany and earn more than € 450 per month, you are required to pay contributions towards the social and health insurances.

The contributions are actually shared by both the employee and the employer. The contribution towards the statutory accident insurance is covered fully by the employer.

Health Insurance -- Social Security Agreement

Germany has social security agreements with several other European countries (all EU countries, Bosnia-Herzegowina, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, Montenegro, Turkey, Tunisia). For nationals of these countries there is no compulsory health insurance needed if they do not draw a salary.

If you are a citizen of Turkey, Serbia and Montenegro, Tunisia, Macedonia, Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegowina, the social security agreement that applies for you only covers essential services. It is highly recommendable for you to take out health insurance in Germany. 

You can access general information about working in Germany from the following links:

Coming to UR with a work contract

If you have a work contract with the UR (or another employer) and your salary is more than € 450 a month, you are required to be part of the statutory health insurance. It is only possible to change into a private health insurance if your income is higher than the upper income limit (in 2019: 5,062.50 per month).

The statutory health insurance (includes pension and unemployment, among other benefits) applies automatically as soon as your monthly income is above € 450.

Here you will find the names and addresses of several staturoy health insurance companies in Regensburg:

Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)
Josef-Engert-Str. 9 (in BioPark close to the university)
Telephone 0941 946 80 85
Mo-Th 11-15 and by appointment

Deutsche Angestellten Krankenkasse (DAK)
Residenzstr. 2
Telephone 0941 599 303 0
Mo-We 8.00 am - 4.00 pm , Th 8.00 am - 5pm,
Fr 8.00 am -1.00 pm and by appointment

Barmer Ersatzkasse, Zweigstelle Regensburg
Dr.-Martin-Luther-Str. 8
Telephone 0941 58 32 - 0
Mo-We 8.30 am -3.30 pm, Th 8.30 am - 6.30 pm, Fr 8.30 am -1pm

AOK- Die Gesundheitskasse
Bruderwöhrdstr. 9
Telephone 0941 7 96 06 - 0
Mo-We 8 am - 4.30 pm, Th 8 am - 5.30 pm, Fr 8 am - 3 pm

Coming to UR without a work contract

International visiting researchers without a work contract must take out private health insurance especially conceived for this group. You can receive more information through the Welcome Center. Please contact us.

Coming to UR with a scholarship

If you are financing your research project with a scholarship, it is compulsory for you to take out private health insurance - either with a German health insurance company or with a health insurance company from your home country. Please ask your scholarship institution for recommendations on this regard. Your will need to sign up personally with the health insurance company of your choice. Please consult with your scholarship institution or with the Welcome Center for advice.

In your case, you are not liable to tax, which means you DO NOT need to pay taxes on the granted scholarship.

30br1616 Streifen

Welcome Center

for International Visiting Researchers and PhD Candidates


Logo Welcome Center Gr _ne Buchstaben