The Master's degree ‚Mathematics’ builds on a completed undergraduate degree in mathematics or a comparable degree. It is designed to provide trainees with a thorough scientific basis and knowledge, skills, and methods in the field of mathematics taking into account the requirements of the professional world. Graduates are capable of an independent and responsible evaluation of complex scientific problems and the practical application of solutions.
Standard period of study : 4 semesters; 120 ECTS credits
Degree awarded : Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree
Beginning : winter and summer semester (if you start at the beginning of the summer semester a course guidance is recommended).
Language of instruction: English
Course contents: It is required to succesfully complete two of the three following compulsory elective modules (18 ECTS each) :
• Arithmetic Geometry (Algebraic Number Theory, Algebraic Geometry, ...)
• Global Analysis and Geometry (Differential Geometry, Algebraic Topology, ...)
• Applied Analysis (Functional Analysis, Partial Differential Equations, ...)
In addition, the student chooses an area of specialisation (18 ECTS have to be aquired), where the Master's thesis (30 ECTS) is written. Also mandatory is a Seminar Module (9 ECTS).
In addition to the above mathematical courses, there is the ‚minor subject’ where at least 12 ECTS are required and courses in areas of ‚general interest’ (elective module, e.g. language courses, programming courses) where at least 8 ECTS are required. In the minor subject and the elective module together at least 27 ECTS are required.
Possible minor subjects include: actuarial science, business administration, chemistry, computational science, mathematics, philosophy, physics, economics or business informatics. Any other minor subject must be approved by the Master Examination Board. Please note that - except for the minor mathematics- the language of instruction for the minor is often German.
The elective module covers the whole course program of the university and opens up the possibility to acquire other than mathematical knowledge especially professional and soft skills (for example, by attending language courses, presentation and rhetoric events, computer courses).
Information about the Master Mathematics Regensburg in DAAD - International Programmes
Only the German original is legally binding. No legal claims or titles result from the English translation.
Prerequisites for admission to the Master's program are:
1. A successfully completed university degree or an equivalent degree with at least six semesters of study in mathematics or a closely related field with an average grade of at least "good" (2.50).
2. Proof of advanced knowledge in mathematics to the extent of at least 18 credit points, which correspond to the module ‚Vertiefungsmodul BV’ of the Bachelor program Mathematics at the University of Regensburg.
3. Proof of knowledge of English at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR); Proof is possible by an equivalent TOEFL or IELTS test, or by any other equivalent document.
Application deadline for the following winter semester: June 1
Application deadline for the following summer semester: December 1
The application process is online via the campus portal of the University of Regensburg. The application period for the summer term 2024 is from 15 November to 1 December 2023.
For questions concerning your application for the Master Program Mathematics or other inquiries about the Master Program, please contact:
Dr. Catharina Würth
Email: Studienbuero.mathematik "at" ur.de
Phone +49-941-943 2805
Prof. Dr. Luise Blank
Email: luise.blank "at" ur.de
Phone +49-9941-943 2794
Further help can be found when visiting our University's international office. Here you can get specific information on topics such as