room: PT 3.2.70
phone:+49(0) 941 / 943 - 3475
fax:+49 (0) 941 / 943 - 3590
University of Regensburg
93040 Regensburg, Germany
Office hours in the winter semester 2023/24:
Please contact me via e-mail (email@example.com) to register at least one day in advance.
Contact person for:
- Erasmus (BA): general advice on studying abroad, consultation to complete learning agreements, transfer of credits ("Anerkennungsanträge")
- BA: organization of studies, change of degree program, transfer of credits, general student couselling
- MEAS: application for the program, organization of studies, general student couselling
- Scholarship for Williams College, Williamstown, MAS: application for the teaching assitant and study program with the partner university
Assistant Professor / Akademische Rätin a.Z., American Studies, U Regensburg, current.
Departmental Administrator, Institute of English and American Studies, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2015-2017.
Instructor, American Studies, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2011-2015.
Degree and Research Projects
Habilitation, U Regensburg: "Negotiations of Ageing in American Modern and Postmodern Dance" (working title)
"Re-Fashioning the Male Body" (working title; edited collection with Silvia Gerlsbeck)
PhD in American Studies, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg: The Anti-Lynching Narrative. The Ethical and Political Agency of African American Fiction, 1900-1973
Critical Dance Studies and Performance Studies; modern and postmodern dance; body studies and age studies
Transnational American Studies
African American Studies; African American literature, film, and culture
Theories of ethics and aesthetics; theories of reading
Mittelbauvertretung, Institut für Anglistik & Amerikanistik, U Regensburg
Peer reviewer European Journal of American Studies
Mittelbauvertretung, Interdisziplinäres Zentrum Gender - Diversität - Differenz, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, June 2018-Feb. 2019
German Association for American Studies (GAAS)
American Studies Association, USA (ASA)
Dance Studies Association (DSA)
Interdisziplinäres Zentrum Gender - Diversität - Differenz/ Interdisciplinary Center Gender - Diversity - Difference, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg
tamed e.V., Association for Dance Medicine
Gradnet e.V., Association for Promoting Young Scholars in the Humanities and Social Sciences
Collegium for African American Research (CAAR)
Awards and Grants
"Eigene Stelle" funding through the "Emerging Talents Initiative" (ETI) at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg for WS 2018/19 (Mittel nicht abgerufen).
Postdoc-Fellowship of the "Office for Gender and Diversity," FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, Sept. 2017-Sept. 2018.
Travel stipend by the Volkswagen Foundation for the conference Philologie und Gesellschaft in Hannover, 2015.
Award for early career scholars of the US embassy in London for the conference The African American Experience since 1992 at the University of Hull, UK, 2013.
DAAD travel and research grants, multiple times.
Yale Fellowship of the Bavarian American Academy for research at Yale University and the Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition in New Haven, CT, USA, 2010.
Travel grants by Dr. Alfred Vinzl-Stiftung at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, multiple times.
Travel grant by Fritz- und Maria-Hofmann-Stiftung, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2015.
Bavarian American Academy, Summer Institute Race and Ethnicity in Munich & Nuremberg, 2008.
Heidelberg Center for American Studies, Spring Academy in Heidelberg, 2008.
PhD-Fellowship of the program for advancing gifted women scholars, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2008-2010.-->
“The Intersection of Performance and Activism: The Fashioned Body of Josephine Baker.” Dangerous Bodies: Fashioned Bodies on the Boundaries. Ed. Jackie Willson and Royce Mahawatte. London: Palgrave Macmillan. In preparation. Print.
“Navigating the Line between Consent and Dissent: Josephine Baker as a Cultural Icon, International Star, and Social Activist.” American Counter/Publics. Ed. Ulla Haselstein, Frank Kelleter, Alexander Starre, and Birte Wege. Heidelberg: Winter. Forthcoming 2019. Print.
With Katrin Horn. “‘Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown’ – The Camp Excesses of Titus Andromedon in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.” Spec. issue “On Uses of Black Camp. Open Cultural Studies 1 (2018): 442–453.
“Segregation, residential.” The SAGE Encyclopedia of Surveillance, Security, and Privacy. Ed. Bruce A. Arrigo and Joseph Geoffrey Golson. Thousand Oaks: SAGE, 2018. 899-903. Print.
“Popularizing African American History and Culture through Dance: The Ethics and Politics of the Artistic Visions of Alvin Ailey and Judith Jamison.” African American Culture and Society After Rodney King: Provocations and Protests, Progression and ‘Post-Racialism.’ Ed. Josephine Metcalf and Carina Spaulding. Farnham: Ashgate. 2015. 159-175. Print.
“Revisiting Spectacle Lynching and Reconfiguring the U.S. South: Economy and Racial Violence in James W. Johnson’s The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man (1912).” Rural America. Ed. Antje Kley and Heike Paul. Winter: Heidelberg, 2015. 113-128. Print.
“Moralphilosophie und Literaturwissenschaften im Dialog: Der Ethical Criticism der Gegenwart als Turn, Paradigmenwechsel oder Novum?” Critical Perspectives: Turns, Trends, and Theories. Ed. Michael Gubo, Martin Kypta, and Florian Öchsner. Münster: LIT, 2011. 240-263. Print.
“‘A Lynching in Blackface’-The Representation of History and Fantasies of Black Male Violence in John E. Wideman’s The Lynchers.” COPAS 11 (2010). Online; no pagination.
“Ambiguity and the Ethics of Reading Race and Lynching in James Weldon Johnson’s The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man (1912).” COPAS 10 (2009). Online; no pagination.
Workshops and Conference
- Conference Organization: De/Constructing Masculinities? Critical Explorations into Affect, Intersectionality, and the Body, International and interdisciplinary conference at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, June 22-23, 2018 (with Silvia Gerlsbeck).
- Workshop Organization: “Black Role Models for a New Community,” Black States of Desire: Dispossession, Circulation, Transformation, 9th International conference of the Collegium for African American Research (CAAR) at Université Diderot-Paris, April 6-9, 2011 (with Birgit Bauridl and Katrin Horn).
- Conference Organization: Critical Perspectives: Turns, Trends und Theorien, International and interdisciplinary conference at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, Nov. 20–22, 2009 (with Katharina Gerund, Michael Gubo, Martin Kypta, Florian Öchsner).
Papers and Lectures
- "The Politics of Primitivism in the Work of Martha Graham, Katherine Dunham, and Josephine Baker." Annual Conference of the Dance Studies Association, Malta, Valetta, July 5–8, 2018.
- "Negotiating the Boundaries between Consent and Dissent: Josephine Baker as a Cultural Icon, International Star, and Social Activist." 65th Annual Conference of the German Association for American Studies (GAAS) on American Counter/Publics, Berlin, Mai 24–27, 2018.
- "The Intersection of Performance and Activism: The Fashioned Body of Josephine Baker." Panel on "Dangerous Bodies – Look out! Fashioned Bodies on the Boundaries." Annual Conference of the Association for Art History and Visual Culture, London, April 5-7, 2018.
- "Choreographing Identities: Modern Dance in Germany and the US." Short presentation as part of the lecture series Revisionen und Visionen einer neuen Geschlechterforschung. Interdisziplinäres Zentrum Gender – Differenz – Diversität (IZGDD), FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, July 11, 2017.
- "Expressing Emotions through Dance: The Body in Motion in the Work of Martha Graham and Alvin Ailey." Panel on "Dance and Dance Culture." 47th Annual Conference of the Popular Culture Association (PCA) and American Culture Association (ACA), San Diego, CA, USA, Apr. 12-15, 2017.
- "Ethik & Ästhetik im Dialog: Amerikanische Literaturtheorie im Zeichen des ‚Ethical Turn‘." Invited Guest Lecture. 118. Generalversammlung der Görres-Gesellschaft zur Pflege der Wissenschaft, Bonn, Sept. 28–29, 2015.
- "Lynching and the Law in Richard Wright's Native Son." The Criminalization of Race in History and Global Societies, West Long Branch, NJ, USA, April 16–18, 2015.
- "The Politics of African American Fiction after Jim Crow." Approaching Blackness: Moving Beyond Representation, Berlin, Nov. 13–15, 2014.
- "The Politics and Ethics of the Artistic Vision of Judith Jamison." The African American Experience since 1992, Hull, UK, Sept. 20, 2013.
- "Race, Class and Capitalism in The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man (1912)." 60th Annual Conference of the German Association for American Studies (GAAS) on Rural America, Erlangen, May 30–June 2, 2013.
- "The Lynching Mythology in African American Narrative Literature." Summer Academy of the Bavarian American Academy (BAA) on American Studies in a Transatlantic Perspective: Critical Regionalism in Politics and Culture, Munich/Nuremberg, May 21–June 2, 2013.
- "Revisiting the Lynching Mythology: The Black Rebel in Richard Wright’s Native Son (1940) and John E. Wideman’s The Lynchers (1973)." The State(s) of American Studies, Futures of American Studies Institute at Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, June 18-24, 2012.
- "Desire and Consumption in Candace Bushnell's Sex and the City." 10th International and interdisciplinary graduate conference on (Re-)Presentations of Working Life, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, Nov. 12.-13, 2011.
- "'The Strange New World of the Internet'—Explorations into Race, Representation and Cyberspace in the Digital Art of Keith Piper." 22nd Annual Conference of the Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association (MAPACA), Philadelphia, Nov. 3-5, 2011.
- "Imagining a New Community? Explorations into Cyberspace and Spectatorship in the Digital Art of Keith Piper." 9th International conference of the Collegium for African American Research (CAAR) on Black States of Desire: Dispossession, Circulation, Transformation, Paris, Apr. 6-9, 2011.
- "'Strange Fruit' – Lynching in the (African) American Cultural Imagination (1890-1940)." Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition, New Haven, CT, Oct. 20, 2010.
- "'A Lynching in Blackface': The Representation of History and Fantasies of Black Male Violence in John E. Wideman's The Lynchers." Postgraduate Forum (PGF) of the German Association for American Studies, Munich, Oct. 30-Nov. 1, 2009.
- Response paper to the keynote lecture "Educating for a Diverse Society in Post-Race America" by Prof. Paula Moya. 56th Annual Conference of the German Association for American Studies (GAAS) on Education and the USA, Jena, June 4-7, 2009.
- "Ethics and Aesthetics of Violence in African American Narrative Literature." Summer Institute of the Bavarian American Academy (BAA) on Race and Ethnicity, Munich, July 22-25, 2008.
- "'What I killed for must've been good!' Ethics and Aesthetics of Violence in Richard Wright's Native Son." HCA (Heidelberg Center for American Studies) Spring Academy, Heidelberg, Apr. 21-25, 2008.
Verzeichnis der Lehrveranstaltungen
Introduction to English and American Literary Studies (Summer 2019)
Undergraduate Seminars (Proseminare)
American Literature I: From the Beginnings through the 19th Century (multiple times)
American Literature II: The Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries (multiple times)
Contemporary African American Film and Fiction (PS; BA, LA, MEAS elective; Summer 2019)
Critical Dance Studies: Bodies in Motion (Cult. Adv.; BA, MEAS; WS 2018/19)
Black Transnational Modernisms (Cult. Adv.; BA, MEAS; WS 2019/20)
Move! American Cultural Resistance from the Jim Crow Era to the Present (Cult. Adv.; BA, LA, MEAS, Summer 2020)
Review: American Literature (multiple times)
Grundseminar Literary Studies (multiple times)
Aufbauseminar Literary Theory (multiple times)
Undergraduate Seminars (Proseminare)
Choreographing Identities: Modern Dance in the US (Summer 2017)
Anti-Lynching Art & Activism in American Culture (Summer 2014)
The US South in the American Cultural Imagination (WS 2013/14)
Fictions of the Black Atlantic (Summer 2012)
Memory and Trauma in the Contemporary US-American Novel (WS 2009/10)
'Strange Fruit' - Representations of Lynching in African American Literature and Culture (WS 2008/09)
Textanalyse: Amerikanische Literatur (multiple times)
Lektürekurs: Englische und Amerikanische Literatur (multiple times)
Examensseminar: Amerikanische Moderne (WS 2016/17)
Brückenkurs für MA Studierende: American Studies Recap (WS 2014/15)
Voluntary reading club for Students Reading American Classics (Apr. 2012-Oct. 2014)