Since its inception in 2013, the ISLE Spring/Summer Schools have brought together (doctoral) students and early-career researchers from around the world to learn about the latest developments in the field of linguistics and provide a forum for strengthening their international networks.
The 2017 Summer School of the International Society for the Linguistics of English (ISLE) took place in Regensburg from 4-7 October. The theme of this year's Summer School was "Variation in World Englishes: advanced issues in theory and methodology".
Plenary speakers (abstracts)
We are happy to announce that the following scholars have agreed to give plenary lecutures at the Summer School:
- Marianne Hundt (University of Zurich): Morpho-syntactic Variation in World Englishes – The Corpus-Based Approach
- Lisa Lim (University of Hong Kong): Englishes in an age of reimagining: Perspectives from urban, online, multicultural Asia
- Daniel Schreier (University of Zurich): Do dialects really change or speakers simply vary? Challenges for sociolinguistic fieldwork and interpretation
- Edgar Schneider (University of Regensburg): World Englishes as a scholarly discipline: Evolution and current challenges
In addition to the plenary lectures there will be five workshops focussing on theoretical and methodological developments in World Englishes.
- Analysing World Englishes in Praat (Alexander Kautzsch, University of Regensburg)
- Collecting and analysing diachronic data in World Englishes (Thorsten Brato, University of Regensburg)
- Collecting field data in World Englishes (Sarah Buschfeld, University of Regensburg)
- Corpus data: from compilation to statistical modelling (Sandra Götz/Tobias Bernaisch, University of Giessen)
- Transcribing and annotating data in ELAN (Naomi Nagy, University of Toronto)
Local organising committee
Edgar Schneider (chair), Thorsten Brato, Sarah Buschfeld (co-chairs), Alexander Kautzsch, Theresa Neumaier, Florian Schleburg, Sonja-Schmidt-Zeidler, Lucia Siebers
Verpflegunssponsor / Sponsor for catering:
Ausstattungssponsor / Sponsor for equipment: