Applications for the academic year 2022/23 will be accepted between April 15 and June 1, 2022 (deadline).
Please send your application by email to Application.MasterDEAS@ur.de and attach your documents as one PDF file. For details on the order of the documents and the name of the file please follow our Application Guidelines. Thank you!
Please note: Only complete applications handed in before the deadline will be considered.
- CV (including name, date of birth, postal address, email address, the exact titles + grades of your qualifications, and the full name of your university)
- a cover letter in English (approx. 2 pages) outlining your motivation for applying for an M.A. programme as well as the relevance of this programme for your professional and academic plans/goals
- APS-certificate (only for applicants from China and Vietnam)
- copy of your passport (only for international applicants)
- English-language certificate (level C1 or higher or equiv.). This equals an overall IELTS band score of at least 7.0 or a TOEFL iBT score of at least 95 points.
- B.A.-certificate or higher; or equiv.
- transcript of academic records, citing your attended courses and documenting your hitherto achieved credit points (at least 150 credit points ECTS) and your average grade
- secondary school-leaving certificate (high-school or equiv.)
- a sample of your own academic work (10-20 pages), written in English
- Our M.A. programmes are English-language programmes. German-language proficiency is not required for the application, although it is advisable to have basic German language skills to organize your studies and life in Regensburg.
- All students in the M.A. British Studies programme need to acquire German language skills at level A1 (or equivalent) according to the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR) during their first year of studies.
- Should you wish to apply for two degree programmes (1st and 2nd choice), please make sure to supply two copies of your complete application documents in two separate PDF files!
- All documents must be in either English or German. Simple copies of certificates and certified translations are sufficient for the application. However, all original documents must be shown at the Registrar's Office for enrolment.
- Recommendation letters are not required.
- There will be no entrance exams or interviews.
- International students: Please consult our International Office for information on accomodation, insurance, finances etc. (Information about scholarships and grants can be found here.)
- For questions regarding your application, please write to Application.MasterDEAS@ur.de.
- For questions regarding the individual Master's Programmes, please contact the student counselors at the Chair of British Studies.
The Masters Programme British Literary and Cultural Studies at the University of Regensburg is a four-term, interdisciplinary degree course with an international orientation. It conveys a historically informed, culturally differentiated and academically founded understanding of Great Britain, from an inside as well as an outside perspective. Conceived as a consecutive graduate degree, the focus lies on in-depth, research-based knowledge.
- Applicants are required to hold an above-average first academic degree earned in a programme with components relevant / related to British Studies - usually a B.A. or equivalent or higher.
- Applicants must demonstrate their aptitude for the British Studies M.A. programme. See APPLICATION above for a list of all documents required for application.
- Applicants need to possess an excellent command of the English language at level C1 or higher (or equivalent) according to the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR).
- 4 semesters / 120 credit points (including M.A. thesis)
- 7 modules (including M.A. thesis + practical component)
- interdisciplinary and/or international component through the option of an internship
- degree: Master of Arts (M.A.)
- start: every winter term (October)
Prof. Dr. Anne-Julia Zwierlein
Chair of British Studies
University of Regensburg
Phone: 0941-943 3467
Fax: 0941-943 4955
Prof. Dr. Jochen Petzold
University of Regensburg
Phone: 0941- 943 2486
Fax: 0941 - 943 4955
Curriculum (for students starting in 2019 and later)
The programme consists of seven modules (120 credit points in total) which should be completed within four semesters. Thus, courses worth around 30 credit points should be selected each semester.
In modules BLK-M4 and BLK-M5 you have to choose one module component each. Please note that you cannot opt for the same component in both modules (e.g. if you want to do BLK-M4a, you cannot select BLK-M5a because they cover the same subject area).
The practical component (module 6) can be completed either within the semester break or during the lecture period. Your fourth semester should be dedicated to your master's thesis.
You can find all courses in the online course catalogue (SPUR). Please note that in several modules you will be able to choose among a number of courses offered in the respective area each semester, i.e., there will be different thematic courses on British Literary and Cultural Studies.
Further general information that might help you get started with your studies is provided here.