Family name, First name: KUNZ, Werner
Date of birth: October 30, 1960. Married, 2 children.
Research ID: D-2847-2009; ORCHID: orcid.org/0000-0002-9463-632X
Publications: 283; Citations: >9800; H-Index 51
URL for website: http://www.uni-regensburg.de/chemistry-pharmacy/solution-chemistry-kunz/
1988 PhD, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Regensburg, Germany
1985 Diploma of Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Regensburg, Germany
- CURRENT POSITION(S)
2012 - Head of the Carl-von-Carlowitz Centre of Sustainable Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Regensburg, Germany
1997 - Full Professor of Physical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Regensburg, German
- PREVIOUS POSITIONS
1993-1997 Professor of Technical Chemistry and Dean of the Faculty of Chemical Engineering (1996-97) at the Université de Technologie de Compiègne, France (as youngest professor in the discipline in France) 1988-1992 Research fellow at the Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France and at the Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA, Saclay, France
- FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
2019 Steinkopff award of the German Colloidal Society for sustainable formulations
2014 Gay-Lussac-Humboldt Prize of the Humboldt association, selection by the French Academy of Sciences
2012 Rhodia-Prize of the European Colloid and Interface Society for “opening a new experimental area at the interface between micellar solutions, ionic liquids and concentrated ionic solutions”
2000 – Corresponding member of the European Academy of Science and Arts (Paris, London)
Since 1993 Several guest professorships (in France, Belgium, Israel, USA, Australia)
1988-89 Fellowship of the European Union
1990 NATO research fellowship
1991 Research fellowship given by Elf Aquitaine
1992 Research Fellowship from CEA
1988 Award of the “Fond der Chemischen Industrie” for the PhD thesis
1980-88 Graduate fellow of the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes including a PhD research grant
- SUPERVISION OF GRADUATE STUDENTS AND POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS
1993-2017 7 Postdocs / 41 PhD students / 76 Diploma and Master Students at the Université de Technologie de Compiègne (until 1997) and at Regensburg University
- TEACHING ACTIVITIES
Since 1993 Teaching Physical and (to a minor extent) Technical Chemistry at all levels from first year Physical Chemistry classes to specialised graduate seminars.
Since 2004 Founder and head of the European Master programme “Complex Condensed Materials and Soft Matter”, a joint program together with universities in France and Italy.
Since 2016 Specialised open online courses about solution and liquid formulation chemistry available on the FUN Platform (France Université Numérique), a co-edition of INSTN and the Université de Montpellier, France.
Since 2000 public outreach: lectures at grammar schools
Since 2012 public outreach: public expositions, panel discussions and public lectures on sustainable chemistry
- ORGANISATIONS OF SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS
2009 Organizer and Chairman of the European “Water” Conference at Frauenchiemsee, Bavaria, Germany (about 250 participants)
2004 Organizer and Chairman of the symposium “Specific Ion Effects” in Regensburg (about 60 participants)
2000 Organizer and Chairman of the Biannual Meeting of the European Molecular Liquid Group (about 200 participants), Regensburg, Germany
- INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
2012 – Head of the Carl-von-Carlowitz Centre of Sustainable Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Regensburg, Germany
2008 – 2009 Dean of the Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Regensburg
- COMMISSIONS OF TRUST
Since 2015 Member of several Scientific Advisory Boards of start-up companies in chemistry.
Since 2014 Frequent reviewer of French ANR projects
2005 – Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Trimatec competitiveness cluster, France
1997 – 2007 Scientific Co-Editor of the Journal of Molecular Liquids (Current IF: 3.65)
Since 2000 Head of the University’s associate institute SKH GmbH in charge of industrial transformation and commercialisation of academic invention in chemistry
Since 1998 Reviewer for all major chemistry and scientific journals (Angewandte, Nature, Science, PNAS …)
- MEMBERSHIPS OF SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
German Chemical Society (GdCH), German Bunsen Society of Physical Chemistry (DBG), European Colloid and Interface Society (ECIS), German Colloidal Society (Kolloid-Gesellschaft), DECHEMA
- MAJOR COLLABORATIONS
Prof. Thomas Zemb and Dr. Oliver Diat, ICSM, Marcoule, France on microemulsions and weak interactions
Prof. Juan-Manuel Garcia-Ruiz, Granada, Spain, on biomorphs and chemical gardens
Prof. Barry Ninham, ANU, Canberra, Australia, on specific ion effects
Prof. Dominik Horinek, Regensburg University, on simulation of nanostructured liquids
Prof. Gordon Tiddy, UMIST, Manchester, UK, on extended surfactants
Profs. Jean-Marie Aubry and Véronique Rataj, Lille University, France, on solution and formulation chemistry Dr. Elena N. Tsurko, Charkiw University, Ukraine on specific ion effects
1. W. Kunz(Editor), Specific Ion Effects, World Scientific Publishing, Singapore(2010), 325 pages.
2. J.Tsurko and W. Kunz (Editors), Thermodynamics of Amino Acid and Protein Solutions, Research Signpost (2010), 207 pages.
3. 4 book chapters written since 2008.
Granted patents: 8 patents filed since 2008.
Invited presentations to internationally established conferences /international advanced schools
Since 2012: (invited lecture: IL, plenary lecture: PL)
- Okinawa Colloids 2019, November 2019, Okinawa, Japan, IL
- Biannual Meeting of the German Colloidal Society, September 2019, Stuttgart, Germany, PL
- TeBio Symposium on sustainable bio-based surfactants, July 2919, Paris, France, IL
- Jubilee Seminar: The importance of materials in society, May 2019, Stockholm, Sweden, IL
- International workshop on alternative solvents, September 2017, Lyon, France, IL
- XI. Erwin Schrödinger Symposium, June 2017, Vienna, Austria, IL
- PROMETHEUS Meeting, April 2017, Granada, Spain, IL
- Symposium CHEMWOOD, March 2017, Grenoble, France, IL
- World Conference on Formulation “Formula VIII”, July 2016, Barcelona, Spain, PL
- Autumn School “The Physical Chemistry of Green Chemistry”, November 2015, Montpellier, France, IL
- Slovenian Chemical Days, September 2015, Ljubljana, Slovenia, PL
- 10th World Surfactant Congress, CESIO, Istanbul, Turkey, June 2015, PL
- Symposium “Formulation et Développement Durable”, December 2014, Lille, France
- Symposium of the KTN Biopharmaceutical Formulation Group, July 2014, Manchester, UK, IL
- Indo-German workshop on surfactants and amphiphilic polymers in nanotechnology, March 2014, Chandigarh, India, IL
- SEPAWA World Surfactant Congress, October 2013, Fulda, Germany, IL
- Humboldt Conference “Chemistry and Life”, May 2013, Poltava, Ukraine, IL
- VII Palestinian International Chemistry Conference, March 2013, Birzeit, Palestine, PL
- Symposium on Hydration and ATP energy, March 2013, Sendai, Japan, IL
- Annual Conference of the European Colloid and Interface Society (ECIS), September 2012, Malmö, Sweden, PL
- VII European Summer School on supramolecular, intermolecular, interaggregate interactions and separation chemistry, July 2012, Moscow, Russia, IL
- Summer School and Workshop on Coulomb Many-Body
Regensburg, August 2020-->
The following list is a selection of The publications of Prof. W. Kunz. You can find the full publication list under the Button "Pubilcations".
- Werner Kunz, Eva Maurer, Regina Klein, Didier Touraud, Doris Rengstl, Agnes Harrar, Susanne Dengler, Low Toxic Ionic Liquids, Liquid Catanionics, and Ionic Liquid Microemulsions, Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology 32(12) (2011) 1694-1699.Online verfügbar unter: http://epub.uni-regensburg.de/24288/
- Bernhard Smutek, Werner Kunz Frédéric Goettmann, Hydrothermal alkylation of phenols with alcohols in diluted acids, Comptes Rendus Chimie 15(1) (2012)96-101.
Online verfügbar unter: http://epub.uni-regensburg.de/24261/
- Matthias Kellermeier, Werner Kunz, Juan Manuel García-Ruiz, Growth behavior and kinetics of self-assembled silica-carbonate biomorphs, Chemistry – A European Journal 18 (2012) 2272 – 2282.Online verfügbar unter:
- Andrey V. Kustov, Nataliya L. Smirnova, Roland Neueder, Werner Kunz, Amino acid solvation in aqueous kosmotrope solutions – temperature dependence of the L-histidine-glycerol interaction, J. Phys. Chem. B 116 (2012) 2335-2329. Online verfügbar unter:
- Glaab, Fabian und Kellermeier, Matthias und Kunz, Werner und Morallon, Emila und Garcia-Ruiz, Juan Manuel (2012) Formation and Evolution of Chemical Gradients and Potential Differences Across Self-Assembling Inorganic Membranes. Angewandte Chemie (International ed. in English) 51 (18), S. 4317-4321 Online verfügbar unter: