Go to content


As a student from another EU-country, you are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and full time during the semester break.

There are more regulations for students from non-EU-countries.

Students from non-EU-countries

They normally receive a limited permit to work alongside their studies. The permitted supplementary employment can be carried out for 140 full days or 280 half days per year (new provision from March 1, 2024). This inpformation will be entered in their residence permit.

You are also allowed to work during the semester and during the semester brak. Please note, that you can only work a full day or a half day, the calculation is not based on individual working hours! For the calculation, a full day is 8 hours and half day work is up to 4 hours.

Before beginning your job, you will need to check your residence permit. If your work is not explicitly permitted you need to apply for the permission at the office for foreigners affairs first!

Participants of the german lessons (Non-EU)

Students in study preparation modules, e.g. preparatory German courses, are allowed to work 140 full days or 280 half days per year, even during the lecture period (new provision from March 1, 2024).

Guest researchers and PhD candidates

Please note, that there are different regulations for you! The welcome center provides more information.

⇒ Welcome Center

Work and study

Jobs for students

International students are allowed to work at the UR or scientific institutions without time regulations. Jobs in organisations, close to the university (like being a tutor in one of the dormitories of the "Studentenwerk") and being a so-called "Werksstudent" in a company count to this category.


If the internship is part of your studies and required to achieve the degree, you will only have to apply for a permission at the foreigners office. Your internship will then not be counted to your regular work days on your residence permit.

Part-time jobs

A long-time job can only be permitted, if it does not affect the purpose of your stay (studying) in any way.

In any case, contact the foreigners office to make sure your residence permit will not be affected by your jobs or studies.

Working with degree

Residence permit after graduation

The residential law allow students from non-EU-counties to work in germany after their graduation. After receiving your certificate you have two options:

  • Change your residence permit to one with work permission
  • residence permit for 18 months to apply for jobs

Already found a job?

Visit the foreigners office as fast as possible. You might need some documents (in german):

  • Antrag auf Erteilung einer befristeten Aufenthaltserlaubnis
  • Pass sowie ein biometrisches Lichtbild
  • Nachweis über den erfolgreichen Abschluss des Studiums
  • Antrag auf Ausübung einer Beschäftigung (your future employer should sign this document as well)

Please note, that you could need different forms in your case!

If you did not find a job yet

Your residence permit can be extended for 18 months, so you can apply for jobs. You are allowed to work during this period of time.

Career Counseling

The Marketing and Career Service of the Faculty of Economics advises and accompanies UR students, also from other faculties, in their first steps into professional life.

The career orientation at MSC includes career counseling, seminars and workshops, and an annual career fair for establishing contacts with employeers and companies.

⇒ Information and conceling hours directly at the Marketing and Career Service

The Federal Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit) is a good place to start if you will soon be finishing your studies and would like to learn about your career options.

The Regensburg Employment Agency is also there for you if you are reconsidering your decision to study and would like to be shown perspectives outside the university.

⇒ Prepare for the professional life: visit seminars and workshops at BA

⇒ Arrange a consultation appointment directly with the BA

Helpful Links

  1. UR International Office

Coming to Regensburg

back to overview




Grafik: Coming to Regensburg


News & Events