Go to content

Working Regulations

Can I work during my studies?

In general, students from EU countries can work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and full-time during the semester break.

For students from non-EU countries there are further specific regulations that you must observe!

Students from non-EU countries

They normally receive a limited permit to work alongside their studies. The permitted supplementary employment can be carried out for 140 full days or 280 half days per year (new provision from March 1, 2024). This inpformation will be entered in their residence permit.

These work days may be done during the semester and during semester breaks. However, only full days or half days are counted as working days. If you work half days, the regular working time of an 8-hour day is taken as a basis, i.e. a half day usually comprises 4 hours.

Before taking up gainful employment, it is essential that you check whether your residence title also expressly permits this intended gainful employment. If this is not the case, you must submit a corresponding application for employment to the Foreigners' Registration Office.

German Course Participants from non-EU countries

Students in study preparation modules, e.g. preparatory German courses, are allowed to work 140 full days or 280 half days per year, even during the lecture period (new provision from March 1, 2024).

Helpful information and further links

Job Opportunities

Where can I find a Job?

The Federal Employment Agency can help you find a job. You can find current job offers on their job board

Job offers that are particularly suitable for international students are posted in the International Office next to room 0.16.

You can find further offers in the regional newspapers (Mittelbayerische Zeitung, Rundschau, Wochenblatt).

Working alongside your Studies

Student Secondary Employment

International students are allowed to work as student assistants at the university (e.g. student assistants) or at another academic institution without any time restrictions. Student secondary employment also includes employment that is limited to university-related activities in professional connection with the studies in university-related organizations (such as tutors in housing facilities of the Studentenwerk Niederbayern/Oberpfalz).

Employment as a working student in a company is counted towards this.


Internships that are a prescribed part of the course of study or are necessary to achieve the educational goal are generally possible as employment without approval. However, you must apply to the Foreigners' Registration Office and submit the relevant certificates from the university. These periods of employment are not counted towards (vacation) employment.

Part-time Work

Further longer-term employment (e.g. year-round) may be permitted as part-time only if this does not change the purpose of residence, which is limited to studies, and does not make it more difficult or delay the achievement of this purpose.

The admission of gainful employment may not enable a change of the purpose of residence before the completion of studies. This also applies to other recommended or voluntary employment known as internships. If you are interested, you must submit an appropriate application for employment to the Aliens' Registration Office.

Work after Graduation

Residence Permit after Graduation

The Residence Act allows students from non-EU countries to take up gainful employment in Germany that corresponds to their qualifications after successfully completing their studies in Germany.

After receiving their graduation certificate, they have two options:

  • Change to a residence for the purpose of qualified employment
  • 18 months residence permit for job search

You already found your desired job?

Talk to the Foreigners' Registration Office as soon as possible. As a rule, the following documents are required:

  • Application for a temporary residence permit
  • Passport and a biometric photo
  • Proof of successful completion of studies
  • Application for employment (filled out together with your potential employer)

Please note that other documents may also be required in individual cases.

No suitable job yet?

If students from non-EU countries do not yet have a job in sight after successfully completing their studies, the residence permit can be extended by up to 18 months for the purpose of finding a job appropriate to their qualifications. During the period of validity of the residence permit for the purpose of job search, the pursuit of gainful employment is possible without restriction.

  1. UR International Office

Coming to Regensburg

back to overview




Grafik: Coming to Regensburg


News & Events